TVR 3000S (Convertible)

Restoration (December 2001)

TVR Vixen S3 Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A  TVR 3000S  Jaguar XJS 5.3 HE  Other Classics 
Home
August 2001  
September 2001 
October 2001 
November 2001 
December 2001 
January 2002 
February 2002 
March 2002 
April 2002 
May 2002 
June 2002 
July 2002 
August 2002 
September 2002 
October 2002 
November 2002 
December 2002 
January 2003 
February 2003 
March 2003 
April 2003 
May 2003 

         

Hole in engine compartment upright First side welded and finished Starting to remove outrigger and sill.

I first removed the passenger side front outrigger by cutting through the sill tube where it meets the outrigger and then cutting it from the body mounting plates and the 3 other points that it joins the chassis. This took some time and I found that where it mounted to the inner round tube there was a large rust hole on the inside so I cut a small section and welded this up.. I then cleaned up all the points that it joins onto and made sure it was in the same position as the old one I had removed. 

I then phoned round the local steel stockholders to find some 1.5 inch  diameter round and square tubing. In the end I was told to try a local forge, which were very helpful, and I purchased some for a grand total of 5.80. 

A piece of square tube was then cut slightly over length and then filed etc,. to fit the inner round tube section. I then tack welded it in a few places, double checked it hadn't moved, and then seam welded it in position. By leaving the sill tube in position I could make sure of the length and fit of the outrigger. This was then cut to size before removing the sill tube. A new piece of round sill tube was cut to size and then welded in. The last little job on this side was to weld a closing section over the end of the outrigger. I am now ready to do the same on the other side.

Well this weekend (15th Dec) I didn't have much spare time so instead of starting on the other side I thought I'd give the chassis a good look over to see if there were any other holes. Unfortunately I found one. A suspicious looking mark, on the square upright (engine side) from the inner end of the outrigger I had just fitted, when prodded revealed a hole about an inch across. I filed it out so that it was a hole of about one and a half inches square and cut a new piece of metal to fit and welded it in position. I hope I don't find any more.

On Dec 22nd I  completed the welding on the other side which was exactly the same rust wise as the first side I tackled. The next stage is to rub remove the surface rust.